I saw vests all summer and fall, only problem with that is that they were all on guys. I wanted one! (Or two or three or you get the point…) So I found a pattern for a basic one for women, New Look 6914.
Now, I have a bone to pick with this pattern. I chose the smallest size and made a test. The muslin seemed slightly bigger than I would prefer but I made the first one in that size and lined to see for sure. It was a little too big.
I wear between a 0-4 in ready to wear. Which, according to the back of the envelope, would be a Size 12. There was no way I was going to make a 12. The back of the envelope also had the size 4 garment measurement as 35 for the bust. So, I made the 4 and it was too big. Need I say more about the poor sizing guide?
Other than that, I redrafted the necessary pieces and made a smaller one. The second one fits as it should. For both vests I used View A, with the faux welt pockets of View B and I didn’t use a buckle belted back.
The first version is a white polyester jacquard with a light pink satin lining, the interfacing used was either a nylon or polyester organza. The second version is a red and black crushed taffeta, with a black satin lining, and the same type of interfacing. I typically wear it with a bandeau and not full shirt underneath, but I wore it to work for the pictures below.
I must admit, I am disappointed that the smallest size came out too large. However, after the necessary adjustments I am pleased with this pattern for a basic vest. I used covered buttons on both for a cleaner finish.