Jumpsuits Are Fun, When They Fit! – McCalls M6760 Pattern Review


I’ve always wanted to wear a jumpsuit, who wouldn’t?  Could it be any easier to get dressed?  One piece, shoes, and go!  I love being 5’8, but since most women are much shorter, it doesn’t bode well for me to be able to buy one.  Most ready-to-wear jumpsuits and rompers are too short in the leg, too short in the bodice, or have an awkward elastic waist that will never be comfortable or hit me in the right place.  But as I was flipping through the virtual pattern lookbook, McCalls M6760 caught my eye. It’s a pattern for a long dress or wide legged jumpsuit.

Some interesting features of this pattern are that it has side seam pockets on the legs, the bodice does not have side seams, and it has a deep V back with an invisible zip to the seat. The drawstring at the shoulders is both a visual accent and an important fitting tool. I really like that the pants are fitted at the hips instead of the suit being boxy all the way down.

Lucky for me, I get to share it with you two days after I made it! Keeping true to form, January in Louisiana brought us a 70 degree day, so I wore it to work and a co-worker took pictures for me. I still have a chair back full of garments (they are not work dress code friendly :)) that need to be photographed and blogged.  I promise to take a day to get them all done, after the competition this weekend.  Oh and about that, I also promise to blog about this one and the last 2 or 3 that I went to as well.  Sorry, for the delays but I have good excuses :).

100_3118 100_3119

As a pattern review, I normally make the smallest size in any pattern, however using the finished garment measurements as a guide, I made an 8.  Since the drawstrings at the shoulders affect the final fit, correct fitting can only be determined accurately after it is completely assembled.  I made two muslins, the first was a quick romper out of a very lightweight woven fabric.  The bodice fit was good but the shorts seat was questionable.  I made a second of the pants only from a more stable woven (a thin polyester shantung satin) and the fit worked but the length just barely touched my feet.  For my garment I used a semi sheer polyester print, interfaced the waistband (a very necessary step) with polyester organza, lined it with a soft lightweight poly blend lining fabric, and cut about 2 inches past the pattern hem line to be sure that it wouldn’t be too short.  That 2 inches was definitely necessary.

I love this pattern, it’s comfortable and flattering to me.  It was my first invisible zipper installation, and it’s virtually perfect.  I definitely want to make it again, in pants and shorts, and in prints, and solids…. you may get sick of seeing me in this style 🙂