I’ve started cooking regularly again, and immediately realized I needed an apron. My burner covers have a wine motif, so I thought it would be cute to make an apron out of wine motif fabric. Then maybe my kitchen will have a theme eventually. 🙂 The thought and need had been on my mind for a couple weeks, when a co-worker told me that she was moving and when she was cleaning out her craft closet she found a bag of fabric. She said she doesn’t sew and she though of me so she brought it to work to give it to me. 🙂 Yay! I happily accepted, of course. Lo and behold, the bag included scraps of two different wine motif cottons. Double Yay! I hurried to the fabric store on pattern sale day and bought Butterick 5474 with View C in mind (pictured to the right).
As a pattern review, I made View C in a size Small. I didn’t like the use of three different contrast fabrics, however, I didn’t have enough to do it all in one of the wine motifs. I used both, and a coordinating beige scrap of what appeared to be home decor satin to line the bust pieces.
Since I had limited fabric, I had to omit the ruffle around the bottom of the apron. It looks similar to the envelope but not the same because of my fabric choices and limitations. The instructions were easy to follow. The ruffles took a while, but I think it was worth it. When I make it again, I will probably put matching pockets on the left side as well. They are a good height, and depth, and therefore they are totally functional! This is a cute and functional apron and I love it!