This dress has been on my mind for quite some time. Last spring, I bought this floral border print fabric as a floor cut from Promenade Fabrics in New Orleans. I didn’t have the full yardage because it had a piece cut from it. None of the patterns I had suited this border print, so after some perusing, I bought Butterick 5317 specifically for it. However, when I initially tried to fit the pattern pieces on the fabric in my idea to have the bodice and skirt go from white to black, I couldn’t. I didn’t have enough fabric to make it happen, so I folded the fabric up and decided to see if another pattern would catch my eye. Months passed, and every time I looked in my stash, it stared back at me, desperate to me sewn and worn. Last month, (I know I’m behind on posting, but it’s been cold and raining) I decided to try again. When I laid the pieces of this time, I figured out a way to make it work. Not the look I initially wanted, but as close as I could get it. 🙂
As a pattern review, I made View A, in a size 6. The floral print is a stretch cotton sateen, and I used a lightweight white satin from my stash to line the bodice. The deviations from the pattern that I made were, I did not add the contrast band at the bottom and I used a narrow hem due to fabric constraints. As a note, the instructions for the side seam pocket and side zipper are interesting.
I like this dress and am glad that I finally got to sew and wear it. When I went to take pictures, a lady came over to tell me it looked like I was in a garden 🙂 Wouldn’t you know it, I was in a printed garden in a botanical garden LOL.