Tropical Print Birthday Dress – Inspired by McCalls 6887

Look, it’s my birthday dress! I’m posting this a month late (sorry), and I didn’t wear it on my birthday (I was at a dance event), but I did wear it to my birthday dinner two days before.  As I walked into the restaurant a girl gave me a compliment on it and said she wanted one, so I consider that #winning.  That tropical print knit fabric was found on FabricMart Fabrics website.  I saw it and knew I had to have it, it represented the vacation I haven’t taken yet this year, LOL.  I decided to make McCalls 6887, again.  I made it in the straight skirt version the first time, as you can see here.

As a pattern review, I made a modification of the full skirted version of the McCalls 6887.  Since I used a knit on a pattern made for woven fabric there were a few modifications that needed to be made.  The tropical print is lightweight so I underlined it in a heavier black knit (also from FabricMart Fabrics).  I initially made the size 6 in the woven so I made it smaller for the knit.  I deepened the neckline, and moved the section that crosses the back down 3/4″.  Since my version is not lined, in order to finish the neckline, armholes, cutout, and hem I turned over and stitched.

Yay for the birthday dress!  What do you think?


A Dress For Spring – McCalls 6887 Pattern Review

100_3184 100_3183

It’s Spring, and I wanted a dress with a Spring kind of feel.  McCalls 6887 has been waiting for me to make it, and i found a fun print this weekend to use.

I picked up this pattern after looking at the line drawings.

I liked the first set, View A, but the set next to it also caught my eye, View C.  I do eventually want to make View A, but I decided to make View C first.   It requires less fabric, and I do love sheath dresses.

I made a quick muslin of the smallest size and decided that it would be snug but a size larger would be too big in the waist.  That would cause a gap or droop between my back and the skirt along the back of the skirt’s waistline, and that would not be wearable.

I also decided to use an invisible zipper, instead of the slot installation denoted in the pattern instructions.  As per my usual avoidance of hand stitching, I did not follow the directions for attaching the bodice to the skirt.  Instead, I placed the bodice layers between the skirt layers and stitched them together in one continuous seam.  That gave me a clean look on the inside.  I did not alter the original hem length, but I did deviate from the instructions by blind hem stitching the skirt and the lining separately before attaching the lining to the skirt at the slit,

100_3173 100_3186

The end result is a simple sheath dress that’s business in the front and party in the back :). I can wear it to work with a blazer (which I did, scandalous, I know) or out and about without.  One thing that I do want to mention about this dress, is actually getting it on and off is interesting.  And by interesting, I mean, the buttons sit too low to pull it up and button them, and too high to reach around from below.  If you’re lucky enough to have a personal valet or dresser then it’s simple,  If you’re not that lucky, make sure you stand in the mirror while you try to contort enough to slip this on so you can laugh at yourself. 🙂  I do it very slowly and carefully.  I thought about snaps, but all it takes is one deep breath for that to be a bad idea.  So this is not the dress to wear when you’re in a rush.  As awkward as getting dressed might be, I still like it and will most likely make another one. 🙂

100_3190 100_3189