I was perusing the internet and found a free pattern for a Japanese-style wraparound dress on the Bernina website.
I thought it was adorable, and downloaded the pattern immediately. I immediately started making it, cutting out the smallest size as per my normal habit. I was hoping for a “wearable muslin”, and started with some slinky red satin I had gotten on sale. Since this pattern has raglan-style sleeves, I couldn’t really try the fit until it was almost done. Once I got the sleeves on, I noticed two things. The collar didn’t come together, but more importantly, for the first time ever, it was too small! Darn German pattern! LOL So, I went to the store, picked up some random inexpensive fabric to do another muslin, this time following the sizing chart making one 2 sizes up. That one fit, although the collar still didn’t come together. I really disliked the fabric I made the second muslin out of so there’s no way that’s seeing the light of day. Fast forward a couple weeks and I found myself in Hancock touching this pretty sheer floral chiffon of white, yellows, and pinks, and not to far from it was a yellow lining fabric (all on sale, of course!) It had to be mine and this pattern was perfect. The collar still didn’t come together, but who cares? I rounded it off, and called it a day.
Like the headline says, now I own a green fur coat! Hancock Fabrics had a sale and that fur was marked down to a price I just couldn’t pass up. I had already decided that McCalls Pattern 6800 was something i needed to have. It’s for a princess seamed coat in varying lengths and collars.
As a pattern review, I chose View C without the belt. Fur is not a recommended fabric for this pattern, but i do what I want! 🙂 So green fur (faux, of course) was used for the outer shell, and blue crepe back satin for the lining. The instructions were clear and easy to understand. I made a muslin of the outer shell first, and chose the smallest size. My deviations were omitting the belt, belt loops, and buttons, I added a fur hook at the waist, and bagged the lining. I was hesitant about the green at first, but I love this coat! It’s heavy and soft and warm, and will be delightful to wear come January. I’ll end with the obligatory spinning pic 🙂
So I had another unfortunate 3 week break , but today i was back in the air! We worked on a new skill that will take a little time for me to get under my belt (double foot knot in the air as prep for inverted scorpion). I will definitely be adding more hanging leg lifts to my workouts in order to get that skill. I also learned a move out of Butterfly, called Airplane. And I actually managed to do it, the third time and final I tried! Yay!